Thursday 8 October 2009

Cameron's speech - what he really meant


We all know how bad things are, massive debt, social breakdown, political disenchantment. But what I want to talk about today is how good things could be.

If I paint a fantasy picture of society you might vote for me and by the time I'm in you'll never remember this.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no illusions. If we win this election, it is going to be tough.

I know we're going to win but don't want to sound too cocky and blow it.

There will have to be cutbacks in public spending, and that will be painful.

The economy's irreparable.

We will need to confront Britain’s culture of irresponsibility and that will be hard to take for many people.

But I'll be all right so who cares.


And we will have to tear down Labour’s big government bureaucracy, ripping up its time-wasting, money-draining, responsibility-sapping nonsense.


Otherwise there would no point us being in power.

None of this will be easy. We will be tested. I will be tested. I’m ready for that – and so I believe, are the British people. So yes, there is a steep climb ahead.


I can be PM, honest.

But I tell you this. The view from the summit will be worth it.

As I look down on you lot when I'm on my post-leadership US lecture tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment